Saturday 31 August 2013

Books, movies, tv-shows

Hello everybody! I decided to share some of my thoughts on what I have recently read, watched or listened to. I will start with books. Well, since I moved to London I noticed that this city just makes you read mostly because people spend ages while commuting. I for example have to travel for 50 minutes to work and with book time goes by much faster. This summer I have red Dance, Dance Dance which is the last additional book to Murakami's 'Trilogy of the Rat'. I am totally in love with him and this last book as all the previous ones of his had impressed me a lot. I love this weird feeling I get when I read his books - some sort of jealousy towards his characters. You unwittingly desire to become one of them to experience all the mysticism and craziness. Also I love the fact that his books introduce the reader to the culture of Japan - between the lines of the main you find random facts about the life of Japan. For example existence of 'love hotels' (one them was actually portrayed in the newest Wolverine), personal registered seal which enable a Japanese to sign document and 'Chazuke' - Japanese remedy for hangover. In his books he mentions a lot of music and the band that repeats the most in Dance Dance Dance is Beach Boys.
I decided to have a little break from Murakami (I do have 1Q84 waiting for me on the shelf) and read something else. Peter came for help. He is loving reddit and in one of the discussions 'what is the best book you've ever read?' he found me 2 books. I have managed to read one of them - it is 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy. Well, I have to admit I have never read anything similar to this - it is a very unique style of writing and quite a deep and sad story. This book is not the one which will leave you with a light and optimistic feeling, but if you are willing to empathise and even cry a bit - then this apocalyptic genre is for you. Descriptive manner, repeating dialogues are not very exciting, but still there is something in it that makes you keep reading - not understanding what is happening and at the same time interest. This novel was awarded with Pulitzer Prize for Fiction. This story makes you put yourself on the place of the characters and think what would you do? Would you give up or continue fighting? There is no thinking of past or future, it is just the road. The ending of the book is very touching - and I made conclusion that no matter whar happens it is our task to carry the fire, hope for the best and have the strength to live. There is also a film ('The Road') which I recommend watching if you don't want to read a book.
Moving on to the movies and TV-Shows - it has been a lot of them but I will just mention the ones I really love. All time favourite TV Show - Suits. Very pleasant, unobtrusive series. American law firm, there are even elements of romantic relationship, but it is to expand the audience. A guy with an amazing memory - not a lawyer who works in one the biggest law firms in NY. Beautiful men, beautiful women, beautiful life - well all you need to get pleasure. Something different, but yet good. I recommend watching.
I am also loving ANTM Cycle 20 - it is truly amazing - exciting news - there are boys in it! But really, it is really entertaining and I just Love Tyra Banks - I like the American series because it is always something more than just looks and modelling it is about relationship and personality. I think it is very cool and it is also on YouTube. Recent movies that I watched were The Road (which you pretty much got the idea from the book review), Kick - Ass 2 (which was to awful that i don't even want to talk about it), We are The Millers and The Art of getting by. Millers - is a very funny comedy I would say 18+ but is really entertaining - perfect to watch after a hard day at work, gets you out of your routine. Don't expect any deep feeling but a good comedy to watch. The Art of getting by - I found it through Emma Roberts' filmography. As when I like the actress/or i usually check out all the movies with him/her and I found The Art of getting by, which is nothing special, but very cute and very much about life.I love these characters, which sometimes I feel like saying, "God, what are you doing?" They do not leave you indifferent. No one is perfect, and all make mistakes, everyone has their own opinion and their perception of the world. Plus, I love the school theme :D I do recommend. Wish you a great weekend - watch, read, listen to what you love! Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment